All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Post subject: SVENSKA
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:49 am 
Axe Warrior

I just started trying to help out translating Emporea to swedish. Someone has started and they have chosen the word Slott for translating Palace. To me Slott is the translation of castle. Palace would translate Palats. But I have contnued using the word Slott not to confuse the players. Was that a mistake? Should I have done something else?

Post subject: Re: SVENSKA
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:16 am 
Veteran Forum Gyrocopter

;) How you define something in swedish, so it will be accepted by swedish players. It won't sound strange to the newcomers, who just started to play the game...

But you did very well to keep only one expression for one game object! (it doesnt matter much which one, palace or castle, they both fit to this object quite well).. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
Axe Warrior

I think a fresh swedis player will be happy with either word. Slott and Palats works well. An active emporian that tries their first swedish world might rise an eyebrow though.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:34 pm 
Veteran Forum Gyrocopter

;) That is not so important.... experienced swedish players who switch language from EN to swedish will know what to do, how to play the game, no matter what words are use there.
...I play the game in finnish now, (just to get to know this language a little), I don't understand a word :lol: , but I know how to play anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:42 pm 
Zeppelin

You have to see it from the context of the game...and the historical definition of what constitutes a castle and a palace...In the medieval times a caste was like a city (size did matter ;) ), and the palace was where the lord/prince/king/nobility lived...so by applying that logic to the game you will have to define the city as a castle in the game (Slott) and for the palace make it Palats, though you can translate city as Stad and forget about Slott...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Axe Warrior

I would agree to that and I will continue using Slott. I realised there was more to the choice of slott than just chance since the easiest word would be Palats :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm 
Axe Warrior

The word så is very frequent in the translations. It is a word that is used when spoken but not as much in writing. I have not changed sentences where the only mistake is a så or two extra, but you might want to screen the translation for that word later. It is not entirely wrong, but it looks strange when it is written twice in one sentence.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 pm 
Axe Warrior

An example
Fint! Senare så märker du att högre nivå på militärbyggnader gör så att du kan träna krigarna fortare.

None of the så are crucial to the meaning of the sentence. I would prefer to ditch them to get a better written language. But it's not entirely wrong since you could say it like this.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:17 pm 
Axe Warrior

SPELL - förtrollning, eller trollformel? I have seen both. To me trollformel is the word you speak, while förtrollning is the effect of it? Which would be the most correct to use?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Zeppelin

Hej Sofia

Both are synonyms...so if it's a single word...make your own choice :) ...if its part of a sentence, it will depend on the structure so as to make more sense :)...maybe a book on Harry Potter in Swedish can help, since the wording there is not just mere translation, but the grammatical structure is preserved to make sense :)...not saying go and buy one, but if you have one at hand...why not use it :)